The Story of my Table


My study table. The table at which I wrote, studied and worked to attain my degree. The table that helped me please Maa Saraswati. 

Since a very young age, I’ve had a fascination for having an exclusive table of my own; one that I could style the way I wanted to. I got this one about 15 years ago when we moved into our new residence. An old Kannada saying goes, "Mane katti noDu, maduve maaDi noDu" (Build a house, host a wedding, is the rough translation), meaning no matter how much you plan, you will exceed your budget. Likewise, back then I settled for a simple table but I always dreamt of an antique styled wooden table, which I planned to buy later on. But somehow this never happened and this table stayed with me throughout college till my Masters and beyond. 


I’m usually not a person who attaches emotions to things, and don’t think twice before I donate or declutter, the moment I decide something has outlived its time at home. Yet, there was some sort of sentiment with this table, a table which I never liked from the beginning, a table that I had just "settled" for. Thus it just stayed where it was. 


Eventually I got married and moved. The table moved with me too. Somewhere along, we had to change homes, and the table came back to its original location.


Time flew.


These days, when I sit on the bed and look across the room, at the table, which now serves as the main nursery table and holds all things most dear to me- diapers, wipes, swaddle cloths, wash cloths, etc, I feel content. I couldn't have asked for a more ergonomic table than this one, which is perfect for my needs at the moment. I take joy in setting it up, wiping it down and making sure it is neat and clutter free. And I'm glad I did not exchange it for a fancier one; the clear surfaces are perfect for the various bins that house all of these things. 


Of late, I've finally begun to understand the meaning of what "less is more" means. Probably these uncertain COVID times, have made me more inclined towards the concept of minimalism. Repurposing has become a hobby. Which is exactly what I did with this table. So don't let the numerous Instagram pages tell you what you "absolutely" need for the nursery. All you need is a neat space like a rack to store your stuff and probably a few clear boxes or bins to organise baby clothes. 


Why this post? 

Why such a long discussion about a thing as mundane as a simple study table?

Sounds pretty boring, right?

Well, the table here, is a metaphor. Our ancient philosophy has always stressed on why things always happen for a reason. I try to project the same principle onto different past events of our lives.


Sometimes, certain events or situations may not always go how we've planned, or how we'd wanted them to. It might have been maddening and frustrating, probably dejecting at that point too. At such a point, we might over-analyse the situation, becoming further disappointed. Over a period of time, I've realised the most logical thing to do would be to leave everything to God/ Fate/ Nature/ Universe. Accepting each day as it comes, should be the mantra. For this, identifying things beyond our control, is the first step. 

Once you gain the art of applying this simple philosophy to everyday life, things become much more simpler and peaceful. When you look back, you realise that whatever happened back then, was for the best. You realise what seemed unpleasant earlier, makes sense today. You realise what made you feel disappointed or frustrated back then, simply does not matter anymore. 


Of course. This is easier said than done. After all, we're only human. And it is natural to have emotions when faced with failure. However, the key is not letting those emotions cloud your reasoning. 

I've been slowly, consistently, and consciously trying deal with situations in this way. It hasn't always been successful. However, whenever I've do managed to face difficult situations using this principle, it's really worked wonders. 


How do you deal with unpleasant events? What is your coping mechanism for difficult situations?

Do let me know in the comments section.


Love,

Piyu


PS: Here's another picture of the table. The storage bins are from Amazon (Brand Solimo).



Comments

Post a Comment

Would you like to share your thoughts?