Musings of an Overwhelmed Mind...

 

The past few weeks have been, quite frankly, overwhelming. COVID has been steadily increasing as expected. I cannot believe that it's been over five months since I wrote the sordid post on the COVID situation! The cases are increasing, but the fear among people has considerably reduced. Reduced to the point of stupidity - I see people going about their activities without a care in the world, no masks/sanitisers, hosting parties and events - well, even God cannot cure stupidity!

And then the various happenings in the country- death of a popular film actor, the ugly side of the film world that we hardly see (about which the elders always spoke of!), a few other things on the personal front - all in all, it's been a crazy time and hence I badly want to rant. Which is why this post. This is just a bunch of random thoughts and events and experiences, and how we dealt with it - hoping that it helps someone else facing a difficult time. 

TELEVISION - The Unnecessary Evil

Going straight to the point. 24x7 news channels have just murdered the concept of a neat and civil half-an-hour news program. Umpteen channels vying for the viewers' attention means the channels try their best to make their program, dramatic. And at the moment, the various channels are at an all-time low. From chasing a food delivery boy, to screaming anchors and participants abusing their lungs, to anchors selling their soul, to name calling and abusing each other on LIVE TV, to gaudy coloured screens that can give an epileptic attack to someone susceptible - it's nothing but theatre.  

Solution - switch it OFF! At one point early this year, when I realised that the last time I switched on the television was to watch the Cricket world cup final, I got the cable connection disconnected as well. And I do not miss it! Not one bit. There's Twitter to keep up with the latest news anyway.

WORK FROM HOME BLUES

I love my work desk in college, I love interacting with people and students. So, though classes are all happening online, the personal touch simply isn't there. And I hate it. Plus, college hours meant a break from home, both from household work and being in a different environment with colleagues and friends. At the moment, since we're working in shifts, I spend a considerable amount of time at home. And the schedule of a disciplined life is totally messed up!.

But there's nothing that can be done too. Just a hope that physical classes and the normal work pattern begins soon.

GOSSIP 

If there's one thing I dislike, it has to be Gossip. Excessive interaction with people somehow leads to unnecessary exchange of information, many a times about a third person. Though I've tried my best to stay away from this all, at times situations are beyond our control. There also have been times, when certain people whom we thought were well-wishers, turned out to be otherwise. Also, we had to move homes unexpectedly, but good Karma ensured we ended up in a better place, with a wonderful view, and a direct view of my fur babies from across the street too!

Lessons have been learnt. Lessons on sharing information. Lessons on trusting people. Lessons on dealing with unexpected situations. Lessons that have only made us more steely and resilient. 

DOGS

I've always liked but been very very scared of dogs, thanks to a few childhood incidents (My aunt's hyper-friendly dog had climbed over me when I was asleep, but I ended up being SO terrified, I never went near a dog since). 

On one of our walks during the Lockdown back in April, we spotted four Indie female pups left on the curbside, most probably by some heartless monster. We began feeding them, and soon the other neighborhood adult doggos joined too. And today, we feed them every single day, the pups are no longer pups - they have been spayed with the help of Animal Care Trust, a local NGO, that is doing yeoman service for community animals in and around Mangalore. 

Spending time with these fur babies is an integral part of my day. The doggos wait for their daily dose of belly rubs too! Till six months ago, I'd never dream of even going near a dog. And now I take special pleasure in pulling out evil ticks hiding in their fur! Finally, the fear is gone. I just enjoy petting them, feeling their soft tummies and even talking to them. And the best part is when they trust me so much, they just fall asleep on my feet, or if in the mood start "talking" back (yes, with different sounds, not barks!)! Heart warming moments that give me intense happiness which I wouldn't trade for anything!

BOOKS, PLANTS & UN-PLUGGING!

I have resumed spending atleast half an hour before bedtime, reading. This has been a habit since childhood, but thanks to the Internet and the various addicting Apps- reading had taken a backseat. There'd be times when I'd purposelessly scroll through multiple Apps and then wonder where the time just flew. I finally have got over this addiction. I haven't unplugged completely; however I'm in control of my time now - my phone does not control me any longer. 

And suddenly I have SO much time on my hands! Also, I wanted a home full of plants always, but again, I'd give the reason of lack of time. Now, after I've reduced screen time considerably, I'm able to spend more time towards this green goal. 

So there, this abruptly completes my rant, atleast temporarily. I'll be back soon, with another such post when the mind feels overwhelmed!

Till then, ciao! And stay safe!

Earlier posts on COVID: WHAT NEXT (Apr 2020), What does the FUTURE hold ? (June 2020) 

 

Comments

  1. This post spoke my heart out! It is also very sad to see health care workers being treated badly by the patient's family members. They work so hard day in and out and get rewarded by being mistreated by people . This pandemic also showed us the lucky ones whom we can trust for real. I really hope that things get back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Would you like to share your thoughts?